viernes, 31 de enero de 2014

What are you thinking?

We weren’t supposed to stop… But we were forced to. A huge fight erupted in the area, all led by the man from before who, along with others, was hurling Molotovs to the opposing Army officers. 

We hid inside a deserted newsagent. There was a fresh batch of newspapers resting on the counter. The front page was filled with all sort of horrible stuff.
“Mysterious attacks in scrapyard, two killed. Savage attacks in Richmond, ten women dead, three missing. Stratford’s water system contaminated, unknown substance causes illness never seen before.”

Both, Cindy and I, were stunned by seeing the news. We were aghast at the events. This wasn’t a terrorist attack… Not even Al-Qaeda could pull something like this. We watched the paper… The attacks at the scrapyard were horrific, all seemingly done by the machinery found on it… The poor women, all had their hearts torn out, their corpses stuffed with flowers until they poured from their wounds…
We were speechless. This was going out of control. Nobody was going to make it if this continues. Hell, it has to continue… No one can stop it now.

I felt something inside me die…I was tired of looking at the streets, the gaping holes, the burning trees… The smell of burning in the air… The groaning and screaming of people, as a huge riot forms and they march down the street… They were burning down the streets, burning down huge flags depicting some sort of face…
No...

....
....

I immediately looked at Cindy. The sheer terror on her face told me everything I needed to know.
When we blinked, it was gone. All the devastation… All the disaster… It was simply gone.

Cindy broke down crying. I would too, but I couldn’t… Someone had to be brave. Someone had to be tough. Someone had to show the other that it wasn’t Armageddon. But I just looked at myself... Seeing how pathetic I am...

“We just have to keep moving! Hartmann Road isn’t too far from here! We can make it!”
“No… you should not.” A voice ringed in my ears… it was a small whisper, hoarse, like if the speaker has been screaming a lot. “Fleeing is not an option.”

I was looking for the source of that voice, demanding it to show itself. Cindy saw me, and began crying even harder… She thought I lost it. But then, she raised her head… tears flowing on her cheeks, and her eyes full of horror.

“Do not let them.”  The voice said, this time even stronger. “That just feeds them. They want madness, chaos… They are all mad. And they now want to bring their madness to you.”

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario